Jump to navigation Jump to search
In 1329, Tankiz—the Mamluk governor of Syria—ordered the construction of a third minaret called the Bab al-Silsila Minaret located on the western border of the al-Aqsa Mosque. This minaret, possibly replacing an earlier Umayyad minaret, is built in the traditional Syrian square tower type and is made entirely out of stone.Since the 16th-century, it has been tradition that the best muezzin ("reciter") of the adhan (the call to prayer), is assigned to this minaret because the first call to each of the five daily prayers is raised from it, giving the signal for the muezzins of mosques throughout Jerusalem to follow suit. It is located next to the Zincirli (Silsile) Gate on the porches to the west of Masjid al-Aqsa. It is on a square-shaped platform with four corners and has a closed balcony, which is kept standing by stone columns. It has a ladder with 80 steps. The minaret is reached by Eşrefiye Madrasa. It was repaired by the Islamic Foundation after the Jerusalem earthquake in h.1340 / m.1922.This minaret is not allowed by the Israeli Occupation Forces to come to the minaret or approach by the Israeli Occupation For the purpose of protecting the Jews who prayed for looking at the Burak Wall. Bab El-Silsila minaret is bordered by Haram's main entrance. As stated in the inscriptions, the reconstruction has taken place, Sultan al-Nasir Muhammed was in the days, apparently by the Governor of Syria when Amir Tankiz was establishing the madrasa el-Tankiziyya. It was replaced by an Ottoman-style 'pencil point' spire, which was replaced by a smooth cutout and a semicircular dome after the drum was damaged in the upper earthquake in the 19th century. During the restoration of 1923-4, the existing canopy and lead coating on the dome were erected.