Minaret of The Al-Asbat Gate
It was built in the Mamluk period during the reign of Sultan Al-Ashraf Shaaban in 769 AH / 1367 CE, by Al-Saifi Qutlubugha.
The minaret got its name because of its proximity to the Al-Asbat Gate, and it was also called the Salahiyah Minaret because it is located on the side of the Salahiyah School. The minaret is located on the northern portico of Al-Aqsa Mosque between the Hatta Gate and the Al-Asbat Gate, northeast of the Dome of the Rock.
It had a quadrangular base, like the rest of the minarets in the mosque, but after the earthquake in 1586 AD, the Ottomans rebuilt it with a cylindrical shape, rising from a rectangular base on top of a triangular transition zone.The shaft narrows above the muezzin's balcony, and is dotted with circular windows,ending with a bulbous dome.
In 1927 CE another earthquake occurred on Al-Aqsa Mosque, which led to the weakening of the minaret, so the Supreme Islamic Council demolished its upper part and it was rebuilt in a new way. The minaret is longer, making the minaret 28.5 m tall.
In 1967, the Zionist entity bombed the minaret, which caused great damage and required a comprehensive restoration. It was restored and sealed with lead.
The minaret has two inscriptions and historical information about the minaret has been recorded jn them. The first is located at its base, next to its door, and the second is above the door.
Translated and edited from the following Arabic sources: