Dome of Yusuf Agha
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dome of Yusuf Agha is located in the courtyard between al-Jami' al-Aqsa (Jami' al-Qibli), the Islamic Museum and Musolla al-Maghariba on the south-western of al-Aqsa Mosque compound (al-Haram ash-Syarif). Jami' al-Qibli is to its east, Islamic Museum to its south and Musolla al-Maghariba to its west.
It is named after Yusuf Agha, the Governor of al-Quds (Islamicjerusalem) and built during his rule in 1092 H/1681 M. This is as indicated by an Arabic and Turkish inscription on the facade of the dome.
The dome has a closed square foundation enclosed by walls, doors or windows from each sides.
The dome was believed to function as a treasury for al-Aqsa Mosque. Now it is used as a ticket and information counter for visitors.